How goes it?

We want to know about you and what's new with you.
Hillbilly

How goes it?

Post by Hillbilly »

I am John and I live in Fairbury, NE. I am GM service manager at the moment but have worn plenty of hats. I have been an Petro chem plant inspector, Aerospace NDT level II, mechanic, millwright, pipe fitter, farmer and in my spare time engine builder, rock crawler and drag racer. I am starting to convert my 1979 K30 (4x4 1 ton) to lg mostly to allow more extreme angles rock crawling. I have converted 3 trucks with technicarbs kits, a 04 c1500, 06 1500 and a 06c5500. The conversions were done for a local lpg distributor. I also converted my 3750 watt b/s powered generator to propane for ease of maintenance and the fact it will run 4 days at load on a 100lb bottle. The k30 currently has a older reman 454 with 80k that I got out of a running 78 c10, a Sm465 4speed and 205 transfercase. It has a dana 60 front and a 14 bolt Full froater rear both with 4.10s and lockers. It has 4" of lift and 36" Iroc Super Swampers. The current hp is 336 @3950 with 500ft/lbs of torque. I have yet to swap out the Qjet but the new induction will be a impco 425 and a model E. Since my brain runs all the time and with the help of some older impco manuals I got the idea long ago to try to turbo on lpg. I am a silly farm boy so in addition to rock crawling this pulls nh3 trailers and has even been in a truck pull or 8. The current 454 has 7.8 to 1 and with the addition of the lpg it should be able to take a reasonable amount of boost without detonation.

Frank
Site Admin

Re: How goes it?

Post by Frank »

Hi John and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've got a fun project there. Post some photos when you have a chance.