Don't know how to post pics here...

Look here for help with posting photos. Test your photo posting here too.
IWANTCHEAPGAS!

Don't know how to post pics here...

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

How does one upload an image from his/her computer on this forum? Can it be done....or does one need a website, (I don'thave one).

Thanks!

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I use Photobucket. It's a free service to upload and store your pictures on. You can create different folders for each topic. It's easy to use and provides the image codes needed to post pictures to a forum. It will also give you links you can paste into emails so family can see them.
Here is a link, they have a good tutorial on the home page,
http://photobucket.com/
There are many others as well.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I thought I already had a topic here about how to post photos but I can't seem to find it. I must have had a senior moment.

You need to have your photos posted on the Internet in a location that is web-accessible. Often, you can load photos onto your personal web space if your Internet account includes this feature. If you have personal web space, you can publish your own photos.

You can also post your photos on a photo hosting web site such as: I've also been planning on adding photo uploading capability to this forum but I'm running a bit short on disk space at the moment.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

A thought ...
When pics are posted at photobucket and the like, often they are deleted over time...many of the pics in forms are are important reference pics.
I run a couple forums...phpbb on nuke..on my own web server.
There is a couple good attachment mods where ppl can upload to the Altern Fuels host...but the host server has to have pic editing facilities to do so...
Maybe addng one of these mods to the forums so the old reference pics dont get lost?
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

Frank wrote:I thought I already had a topic here about how to post photos but I can't seem to find it. I must have had a senior moment.

You need to have your photos posted on the Internet in a location that is web-accessible. Often, you can load photos onto your personal web space if your Internet account includes this feature. If you have personal web space, you can publish your own photos.

You can also post your photos on a photo hosting web site such as: I've also been planning on adding photo uploading capability to this forum but I'm running a bit short on disk space at the moment.
Your not losing it Frank.
I remember reading your sticky on photo posting. That's when I started using photobucket. I started so I could post pics here! Thanks for it!
My daughter put me on to tinypic.com recently, it is very simple and easy to use as well, but as steps says, I do not know how long they keep pics posted. Photobucket has no time limits.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I know what happened. I set Auto-Pruning to ON for this section so that topics would be deleted if they don't get any postings within 365 days. I've set Auto-Pruning to OFF now. It seemed liked a good idea at the time.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Disk space, maybe the following will give u some practical estimates as how much in reality you would be looking at..

jowettnz not a forums that has about 6.5 meg of events members cars etc

kakariki.net the forums as attachments to posts has about 30 meg of full size pics and 17meg of thumbs in the posts about 450 pics uploaded to the forums 450 pics thumbnail and full sized for each one.

the gallery has about 80 meg about 500 pics uploaded these
has 3 levels of pics, the thumb, the album pics and full size pic, the latter only veiwable to members
the 500 pics each of these has a level of veiw (3 copiies each)

What does start to take up a lot of space is the Apache server logs ..they can get to 500 meg in a couple months....currently my acces lof is about 200 meg (just checked 2 months 2 days since I last cleared it)....keep an eye on the error.log if to many errors n a site coding that can climb fast to

The kakariki.net site as far as busy, member growth, is similar to this one maybe a bit bigger thu...kakarki like LPG is a niche type market/community

I use imagemagick and netpbm as pic editors

The whole server is loaded to itas own partiton of 15 gig...thats apache, mail servers, ftp servers, data bases everything .. www/ web sites including logs etc currently using about 750 meg of which 200 meg is logs.

Then 2x a day the whole partion is ghosted, backed up to another partition and to another machine on the network...the backup files are just under 1/2 the size of the server partition ...

Hope this info is of some help...
Feel fre to email me if have questions or wish to discuss anything..
I have got a lot from here and gladdly return where I can.

IWANTCHEAPGAS!

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

Jeez you guys are amazing. One simple question and I'm hit from all directions. :lol: I like that.

Guys I'm old school.....I'm used to uploading images rather than obtaining them from a personal web storage, (I found out I do have but more work).

Well more CPU work I guess....

Matt I'm still waiting on news about the tank before I even attempt to begin. At this point I resort to dreaming on my long treks back and forth to work.

Thanks guys!

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

IWANTCHEAPGAS! wrote:Jeez you guys are amazing. One simple question and I'm hit from all directions. :lol: I like that.

Guys I'm old school.....I'm used to uploading images rather than obtaining them from a personal web storage, (I found out I do have but more work).

Well more CPU work I guess....

Matt I'm still waiting on news about the tank before I even attempt to begin. At this point I resort to dreaming on my long treks back and forth to work.

Thanks guys!
Well if ya just want to post a few pics to the forum, try the tinypic link. You just upload a pic to the site then it will give you an "image" tag or link. You just click on the tag which copies it to your computer and the you right click and paste it into your message here. Easy peasy! Try it in here in your next reply. we will let you know if it works properly.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

My account includes 250 MB of web space and I'm at 331 MB right now. I like Photo Gallery but this can add nearly 100 MB just for the program. I see phpbb 3.0 is out now, which includes file attachment capability. I'm going to upgrade first before I try any more mods.

IWANTCHEAPGAS!

Post by IWANTCHEAPGAS! »

Mattelderca wrote:....Well if ya just want to post a few pics to the forum, try the tinypic link. You just upload a pic to the site then it will give you an "image" tag or link. You just click on the tag which copies it to your computer and the you right click and paste it into your message here. Easy peasy! Try it in here in your next reply. we will let you know if it works properly.
Too tired right now....eyes are killing me from staring at the screen. Thanks fellas....I just need to rest for now.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Using a host...we did, but all the mucking around with ftp, something goes wrong, they backup files forget to backup daa bases...
Then updates...Basically i got sick of it, so using an old gaming machine had laying around and started hosting my self...and still use that for surfing general office machine nps.
(Regist the Domain thru Noip ..which reminds me better pay that for the next 2 yrs..due in 2 months about $30 I think.)
I have only 512 up and that works ok...had 128 a few yrs back and that was ok to.
Due to security reasons will describe the rest in private...
But no way would I go back

Im still running old versions..did a update a few yrs back, what a bloody headache!! so havnt bothered since...find in the long run its easest to code the mod in....and thats made easy having your own server...make a ghost, drop the code in... u have screwed up somewhere missed space or speeck mark..sites down, and have to fix...with your own server just 5mins re ghost back, and code in again...AND using local machine no ftp.
Had a few serious muslem hacks take the web sites down over the yrs
But thats not a problem, just re ghost the last backup, about 5 mins back in business, appologies to members maybe lost 1 or 2 posts thats it.
And hosts dont usually let u have access to top level security and config files to run your own mail server...So it can make it diffcult to block out blocks of ips eg China, Korea , turkey, Brasil, being the main culpits...which also takes care for bloody forum spammers, and bot trying to pull emails etc.