1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic from Poland

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
CapriceClassic

1993 Chevrolet Caprice Classic from Poland

Post by CapriceClassic »

Hi
I`m very glad I found this forum, I hope you will help me finding solution to my problems with my car.
I have 1993 Chevy Caprice Classic 5.0 V8 TBI, running on LPG and petrol.
The installation is IMPCO:
- mixer CA300
- converter model E
Every year I have to buy repair kits for my IMPCO because of probably poor quality of gas in this country.
IMPCO is not popular installation in Poland and few people know it actually exists. Most of LPG kits are from Italy, but they don`t want to cooperate with American cars because of the size of engines.

What I wanted to ask is, what is the difference between converter model E and model L. My friend also have the same car but from 1991 and he has model L installed. He never had any problems with it and he drives his car every day, just like me. (most people who have any American car don`t drive every day because of the price of petrol, they drive small so called 'car' with huge 1.2 - 2L engine).
With converter is more suitable for my car?
What is "vff30 lockoff" and what does it do, is it needed in installation?

I`ll be thankful for any help.

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Every year I have to buy repair kits for my IMPCO because of probably poor quality of gas in this country.
I doubt very much that a kit is needed, rather a clean out would be all that is needed....Impco E L will run way over 100,000 miles maybe even 2x times that before needing service parts.
what is the difference between converter model E and model L. My friend also have the same car but from 1991 and he has model L installed. He never had any problems
Very little, in fact in practice I doubt if you would notice any difference between the units

What I think is your issue is how the 2 units have been mounted...
I would not be suprised your freids is mounted so the main LPG 1" outlet is pointing down, and yours sideways or on its back.
Pionting down stops, continually and drains the oils in the LPG that condense out with a drop in pressure in the converter and regulator behind it.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

Imperial73

Post by Imperial73 »

Welcome aboard!

You could try a filter in the fuel line before the vaporizer.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Dobry dzień and welcome to the forum!

If you do not already have a Dual Curve PN 5920 Integrated Controller, I suggest that you get one before they become completely unavailable.

CapriceClassic

Post by CapriceClassic »

Frank wrote:Dobry dzień and welcome to the forum!

If you do not already have a Dual Curve PN 5920 Integrated Controller, I suggest that you get one before they become completely unavailable.
Dzień dobry Frank :D
Tell me where can I buy this and what is the cost?
I have some computer unit from "Tartarini" (Italian company) under the hood in my impco installation, I have to ask my mechanic :)

This is how my converter is installed.
ImageImageImage

I heard that there is repair kit with Kevlar diaphragm, is it true? I only know rubber and silicone diaphragm.

I also don`t have VFF 30 lock off, because it is illegal in Poland to have it installed, instead I have solenoid lock off with filter.

How can I clean converter? Some friend who have Caprice Station Wagon `80s with IMPCO told me to do that with diesel fuel, I don`t think it`s a good idea.

I appreciate all of your help :D

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

"Tartarini" (Italian company)
These units where very popular in NZ for many years, more so on smaller 4 and 6 cylinder engines.
Other than that I know very little about them, other than larger engines where fitted with impco by reputable installers.

Cleaning out, kerosene or carb cleaner.....dont use anything that u may suspect could damage rubber...some engine degeasers can do so.

Even a strong soln of dishwash machine power and hot water works suprisingly well.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

CapriceClassic

Post by CapriceClassic »

The repair kits are on the way so in about one week I should have them. Can anyone tell me where can I buy " Dual Curve PN 5920 Integrated Controller" ?