2003 Chevrolet Impala LS - 3.8L

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
Frank
Site Admin

2003 Chevrolet Impala LS - 3.8L

Post by Frank »

It was time to get a more modern propane-fueled vehicle for the fleet and decided to get a car for which Technocarb started developing a model-specific kit. After having to source the fuel tank and design brackets for the kit, I finally got around to converting the car in January of this year. This allowed me to allow accumulate some gasoline fuel economy data to compare with its new propane economy. I don't have any propane fuel economy yet as I am still on my first tank of 82 litres (21.6 US gallons).

The details of the conversion are on the propane information site: SVIS Impala

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

Very nice Frank!
Keep us informed on how it all works out over time.

franz

Class

Post by franz »

Pay attention children! This is an fine example of a well done and well thought out conversion.

Franz
Last edited by franz on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Thanks!

Much of the credit for this conversion has to go to Peter Robinson at Robinson Auto Tech Services in Hamilton, ON. As you can see, he takes a great deal of pride in his work.

dutchlincoln79

Post by dutchlincoln79 »

Frank, do you have some more technical information about the conversion, the kit, wiring, spec's, price paid, etc.etc.?
Thank you.

regards,

Stef.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

This kit isn't commercially available yet so I don't have pricing for it. However, I would expect that the MSRP would be $3642.86. The installation manual for the 3.8L Impala SVIS kit is very similar to the GM 8.1L SVIS Installation Manual. Technocarb's SVIS products are geared toward the professional installer so they don't have very much available in terms of brochures or specifications.

The following literature is available:
Crown Victoria EPA Certified - Brochure
Ford F150 EPA Certified - Brochure
GM SVI 8.1L Brochure
ESIP - Economy Sequential Injection Package

dutchlincoln79

Post by dutchlincoln79 »

is it me? Am i so hard on myself? :oops:
I just don't like all the hose-spaghetti.... :(

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

There is very little that can been done to get around the extra hoses. The emission regulations here prohibit the removal (or modification) of any emission-control device. The only practical way to add a propane system is with these additional components.