Newbie with ambition.

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
Dirty Habit

Newbie with ambition.

Post by Dirty Habit »

Hi,
I am new to this site but have had a little experience with propane conversion. With a passion for U.S. and Canadian vehicles and living in a country with very high gasoline prices, it was for sure I would need to look for a cheaper alternative fuel.
I first converted my 80 Checker cab to propane only, using used Impco parts of EBay. I then converted my 81 Caprice, this time I decided to go for dual fuel, using a Sprintgas mixer. The Checker ran well, but I felt sure I could I done a better job and had it run a little more economically had I set it up properly. The Caprice has always performed excellently with good mileage. I very rarely use gasoline.
I have never really considered converting either of my Crown Vic's for two reasons. First there was a problem with the inlet manifolds cracking under normal use, so I would not risk feeding an explosive mixture through it by using a mixer and I do not have the experience to install an injection system. Then there was the cost to consider. Both Crown Vic's only cover around 2-3000 miles a year and so the savings were not so good.

But the reason for me joining this forum. I would like to make my International Harvester C-900 truck propane only. It has the 152 four cylinder motor and with a three speed transmission and an axle ratio that limits the top speed to around 55 mph, it is very thirsty. So guy's when I have put my thinking cap on and decided to start, I will be asking for a lot of advice and suggestions.
Regards,
Allen
United Kingdom

:)
1964 IH C900
1980 Checker Cab converted to Propane (Sold)
1981 Caprice Dual fuel
1997 P71 Crown Victoria (Sold)
2003 P72 Crown Victoria Taxi

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

Check out a post a few days ago by Franz and order his manual
three speed transmission and an axle ratio that limits the top speed to around 55 mph, it is very thirsty.
that may hit the nail on the head...
What is it used for...now, cruizing or a work horse?
And as real heavy load work horse?
To get the best out of any fuel enhine, gearing has to be designed for the actual use u intend,
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'