78' Chrysler NewYorker 400cid

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
Mattelderca

78' Chrysler NewYorker 400cid

Post by Mattelderca »

Good Day,
My name is Matt Elder and I am the very proud owner of a very nice condition Chrysler. I am looking at an LPG conversion for this car and wanted to chat with people who have already done it. I am looking for a simple, closed loop, mono fuel "kit". I realize that here in Ontario Canada we have some of the best regulations on LPG equipment which does complicate the matter of me wanting to do my own work. I hope to find someone to "assist" in my install by providing an inspection of the install. I hope to install some fairly large storage tanks under the trunk of this car. The existing fuel tank is 118 liters with plenty of extra space left over between the frame rails. This car has a 400 CID big block with a spread-bore manifold. I am very much looking forward to the better emissions and drive-ability that this kind of system should provide. I was considering gasoline fuel injection but then thought about propane. From what I've read here and from other sources, propane should be just right! I see their are already others with similar vehicles on the list, great. I was also involved with the build of a Shelby Cobra Roadster in 1981, which was propane powered with a turbo charger! Thank you to the list owner for providing this forum! Cheers, Matt

Last edited by Mattelderca on Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperial73

Post by Imperial73 »

Hi Matt, do you have some pictures of your car? I love full size Mopars :D

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I love em as well! I understand there are few big Chryslers over there. I am a member of another on-line list and some of those members are in the Netherlands as well. Here is a link to some pics, enjoy!
http://www.nybclub.org/membercars/74-78 ... /index.htm
Here are some other pics,
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/ ... NewYorker/

Cheers,
Matt
Last edited by Mattelderca on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Nice car. I'm partial to the big Chryslers too!

Whereabouts are you?

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I am located in Whitby Ontario, Just east of Toronto.
Reading through the posts right now, tons of interesting info. Now to find a cooperative conversion shop.
Cheers,
Matt

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

There are a few shops in Ontario but I think the closest one to you is:

Valmount Propane Conversion
6483 Kingston Road,
Scarborough, ON M1C 1L5
416-284-5711

If you need more help, send me a PM.

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I have a contact that had a regular shop next to Valmount. I am speaking in second hand here but they apparently had a few fires. I am not looking for someone close, just someone good, reasonably priced, and cooperative. There is a shop in Peterborough that I pass on the way to the cottage. I may try them, they seem to be quite busy, if that means anything. Is there someone on the list we should support? Or is that not allowed?
Matt

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I wasn't aware of a conversion shop in Peterborough but, then again, there's a lot I don't know. I've been trying to compile a list of conversion shops (and even ones that just do maintenance) so I'd like to add them to my list.

I've never dealt with Valmount Propane other than calling them to find out if they are in the propane conversion business. There is no one that you need to support and this forum is meant to be purely a means of sharing alternative fuels information.

Imperial73

Post by Imperial73 »

Mattelderca wrote:I understand there are few big Chryslers over there. I am a member of another on-line list and some of those members are in the Netherlands as well.
thanks for the pics! In the Netherlands, full size mopars are really rare, but here are some pics of mine:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/ ... alk/73imp/

Some time ago, I had an opportunity to bid on a 64 Ghia Crown Imperial (1 of 10 (TEN!!!)) but I didnt have the funds together in time. However, you might appreciate the pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/ ... lk/64ghia/

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

very nice!
If you have a look through these you will see a few names from the Netherlands.
http://www.newyorkeronline.org/memberca ... /index.htm
I especially like Dirk Bekker's 74 Imperial LeBaron.
Thanks for the look,
Matt

C3H8

Chrysler

Post by C3H8 »

Nice looking car. They run great on LPG. The only concern is that Elebrock carb. If you are looking to go straight propane adaptors are very hard to locate for it. If dual fuel you have to do the same as the vehicle shown in the Netherlands or go to a Vialle system. Although finding a Vialle mixer to fit an Eldebrock would also be difficult. If you just do light cruising, no heavy trailer hauling, the 300 series IMPCO mixer would more then meet your requirements.

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

I have the original Thermaquad, if need be. I can also source any throttle plate i may need. I plan monofuel LPG. No need for dual fuel as one of the advantages is not having modern gasoline to stale in month! With the amount of volatiles in modern gasoline, and the worry of a dry carb, who needs it. One thing that I need to consider is hood clearance, there is not much height under there.
Thanks all for all the info.
Matt

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

In case you're planning to do a valve job on your 400, you might want to consider replacing the PN 4006452 heads (81.5 cc) with small chamber heads. I used the PN 2406516 heads (73.5 cc) from an old 383 when I redid the valves on my 440.

From my Chrysler Racing Manual (B-RB section, p 46), the stock compression ratio of a '72-'78 400 is about 8.5:1. Milling the heads 0.060" raises the CR to almost 10.0:1. Using the a small chamber heads raises the CR another 0.5 point.

The exhaust valves are smaller (1.60" vs 1.74") with the 516 heads but I don't think it really made a noticeable difference in everyday driving. These heads aren't all that popular so they're more reasonably priced than other high performance heads. However, the Racing Manual suggests that installing the 1.74" exhaust valve in the 516 head results in a large increase in power (p 33). Since the small chamber heads are a closed chamber design, they should also perform better than your open chamber 452 heads. I'm not sure what the quench clearance would be but it would probably be greater than optimal.

Later on, if you're thinking about a complete rebuild, the Chrysler 451 would be a fun upgrade.

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

The engine is low mileage. 118,000 Km's and runs quite nice. Just a few minor carb tuning issues. That's why I switched to the Edelbrock from the stock Thermoquad. With the LPG conversion I hope for a cleaner emission and better, more consistent tune. I know the compression is low but maybe eventually I can make use of that with a supercharger! If I could find a simple belt drive unit low enough to fit under the hood. Just a thought! The valves should be OK for the LPG as these 400's were built for unleaded, even though the car never did have catalytics. If I ever do the valves I'll mill the heads anyhow, I'd like to see 9.5, if I do. I am stoked about the LPG though, now just to find a good deal on some parts!
Cheers,
Matt

C3H8

Adaptor

Post by C3H8 »

If you use the TQ you need to locate an adaptor part number AA3-64. That would allow you to put a 425 directly on top of the throttle body. Check your hood clearance though. Its going to be tight.