78' Chrysler NewYorker 400cid

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

My New Yorker used a 425 mixer with the AA3-64 because I also used the TQ's throttle body and had no problems with hood clearance. The 440 is a bit taller than the 400 so I don't expect that you would have any problems.

The clearance problem I ran into had to do with the mechanic using a short nipple to connect the converter to the mixer because there wasn't clearance between the firewall and the converter. He had to cut a converter clearance hole in the air cleaner so that the air cleaner could mount properly on the airhorn. I ended up relocating the converter to sit over the passenger-side valve cover and replacing the air cleaner. This ensured that the engine got the coldest air possible.

Imperial73

Post by Imperial73 »

It caused me a lot of trouble to find the adapter for the TQ. Anyone a suggestion where I could buy one?

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

A Quadrajet throttle body will also fit the BB mopar. In fact any spreadbore will. You will just have to modify the linkage. You can also get spreadbore to squarebore adapters. The local parts store has one that is only 3/16 inch thick. This allows you to use any throttle body you can get. One of the listers should have what you want, try Frank or there is always Ebay. A quadrajet base just sold for about 25 bucks.
Cheers,
Matt

Imperial73

Post by Imperial73 »

No, a Motorcraft spread bore wont fit. I have a QJ throttlebody right now, but for various reasons, I prefer the TQ.

Mattelderca

Post by Mattelderca »

Mattelderca wrote:I love em as well! I understand there are few big Chryslers over there. I am a member of another on-line list and some of those members are in the Netherlands as well. Here is a link to some pics, enjoy!
http://www.nybclub.org/membercars/74-78 ... /index.htm
Here are some other pics,
http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/ ... NewYorker/

Cheers,
Matt
New links