2,5 years of hell...

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
jaco

2,5 years of hell...

Post by jaco »

Hi guys,
New here, but wanted to share my story. Bought a 1995 Ford Bronco 2,5 years ago (seems it was produced in Venezuela which actually makes it a 1992 model in the states.) Was already converted to gas. Don't think any preemptive maintenance was ever done and maybe not even any normal maintenance.
Problems started quickly; would take of in 1st and then kick into gear (automatic) so automatic overhauled.
Wouldnt go uphill (no power) or downhill (brakes practically on fire in 5 mins)
After changing sparkplugs, cables, distributor, etc. several (!) times I had the engine completely overhauled. New pistons, gasgets, etc etc.
Straight after the "new" engine went on the dyno: 209.9 HP and 476.8 Nm. Stock/better than stock values. I was so happy and took it back to the gas guys for an upgrade. Wanted injection but they said it couldnt be done. So an upgrade on the current system.

This is when the madness really began.

When I got the car back that was running badly, although "at least 90% of the original HP's!" had been promised.
I took the gas out (just the mixers, because they restricted the air intake by > 50% and I live 1.500meters above sealevel)
Whatever I tried; the car wouldnt run.

This week I had an epiphany and I just changed the timing by hand. (After reading how the computer for natural gas changed the timing; 6, 12 and 16 degrees.) with 2 tries; the car went flying.

Now the computer is on, even when the car is driving only on gasoline.
This Monday they (gas guys) will have a thorough once over and make sure everything is good.

Let's hope so. 2,5 years on gasoline (12 miles to the gallon at best) in stead of gas (6x cheaper here) and all the time I havent been able to use the car...

Any comments, please. I didnt know anything about cars but have learned a lot.
Loving my car and don't want to give her up.

(Had an 82 Bronco and put a big block in there that ran on propane for years. Without a glitch and fast as anything!!! I know it's possible!)

Frank
Site Admin

Re: 2,5 years of hell...

Post by Frank »

Welcome to the forum.
jaco wrote:When I got the car back that was running badly, although "at least 90% of the original HP's!" had been promised.
I took the gas out (just the mixers, because they restricted the air intake by > 50% and I live 1.500meters above sealevel)
Whatever I tried; the car wouldnt run.
Did you put the mixer back in after you realized the problem with your timing?