Propane Jaguar Hotrod

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
alehander

Propane Jaguar Hotrod

Post by alehander »

Hello, all. Just finished my latest project - a Series II 1975 Jaguar XJ6, on propane. The pics aren't great, but I have more coming. I would like to thank the following people and organizations for the help they provided with this project (even if they don't know it):

This forum
Franz Hoffman's site
The WPS site
Shane Hunt at Delta Liquid Energy
Kalvin Thorne at Jasper Engines
Manager of Carb and Turbo (East Coast)
Autotronics tech support (sort of...)

The above folks have been instrumental in helping me with component selection, installation and tuning. Thanks again! And now for some specs:

Chassis: 1975 Series II Jaguar XJ6

Drivetrain: Chevy small block 327 (stock), TH350 transmission

Fuel delivery: Impco 425, Model E, Paca lock-off

Tanks: manifolded, 25 gal capacity mystery Canadian units

Control: Autotronics 5952 w/Heated O2 sensor, no TPS input

Go-fast goodies: Edelbrock Performer intake, Sanderson headers, K&N filter, HEI re-curve kit, adjustable HEI vac can

Timing: 18 initial, 15 mech, 15 vac

Fuel: Motorfuel-grade from CleanFUEL USA. Currently $2.08 with 24-hr cardlock access in CA

P.S. Check out the alt-fuel non-profit I work for: www.c-5.org. Contains lots of info on local (Central CA) alt fuel culture, as well as national stations locators and OEM alt-fuel vehicle links.

Cheers, -Alex
Lenin zhil, Lenin zhiv, Lenin budet zhit'

michael

Post by michael »

25 gal capacity mystery Canadian units
what does that mean?
feels like a slight
but maybe it justs means you are used to the ?after tax? miniture US gallon rather then the Imperial gallon the rest of the planet uses.

US gallon = 3.785 liters
Imperial gallon = 4.546 litres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

alehander

Post by alehander »

Michael, when I say "mystery Canadian units" I mean that they were made in Canada, but I do not know the make and model of the tanks. -Alex

Melvin

Post by Melvin »

Is that intake adapter on the 425 a custom unit or a commercial piece of kit? How is it performing for you? Have you seen any indications of uneven flow?

Its looking like my turbo conversion could be helped along by such a piece.

alehander

Post by alehander »

That particular piece was custom-made for me for about $160 from some 5" aluminum pipe, etc. I have seen VERY similar ones for sale at automotive propane outlets (search this forum), but I needed one which was even more snug (in terms of OD) than the commercial ones to clear a beam under the hood.

The piece worked fine, but the rest of the intake system was too restrictive for the engine - I have since removed and sold it and cut off the hood beam to use a regular air filter. -Alex

C3H8

Post by C3H8 »

I'm puzzled by your mention of the 5952. For it to function it has to be attached to the model E through the vent but I don't see any fittings in the reg. Was the picture taken before you installed the 5952.

alehander

Post by alehander »

Yep, sorry - jumped the gun on the pics. I installed the controller after that show. I cant say it's worth it - mileage is the same, lots of solenoid noise. I am using a standard valve, not a rich one as suggested. I am deliberating replacing it with a lean valve and keeping the controller in place. I understand that this is not the way it's supposed to be done, but this setup should ensure lean or stoich operation at all times.

I have another AFV show coming up in late Aug - I'll post fresh pics of the Jag and any factory AFVs I round up. See http://www.c-5.org/06_reception.php for the vehicle listing so far. -A