Hello! I'm a newby with a 1984 propane Mercury Grand Marquis

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
Maj

Hello! I'm a newby with a 1984 propane Mercury Grand Marquis

Post by Maj »

Hello AF forum members. I'm new here, just saying hello and posting details of my vehicle.
It's a well used but mostly functional '84 Mercury Grand Marquis running propane, it has a 100L (3 segment) tank, OHG inc model X450 carb, OHG model X1 vapourizer and I'm not sure about the reguator, it's stamped INWP 312LBS CI-38 (mean anything to anyone?).
It's a great drive when it's working, which it did for the 9 months after I bought it for $400. Then a lifter collapsed and I had to tear it down and fix that. Now I've got it running again but it has a few issues. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction?
I've fiddled with the mixture like I did in the old days with my gas powered cars until the motor sounded happiest but I'm concerned that might but entirely the wrong thing to do with a propane engine?
Also, it only runs fine as long as I have the vacuum advance pipe disconnected, as soon as I plug that back in it stalls out immediately. Once or twice after more random fiddling with the mixture screw and timing I got it to run with the vacuum connected but as soon as I tried to open the throttle it stalled out again right away.

Any advice will be gratefully received

Anyways, hello everyone, this looks like a great resource forum for us alternatively powered folk, I hope to contribute but I am new to propane thing :D
Last edited by Maj on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steptoe

Re: Hello! I'm a newby with a 1984 propane Mercury Grand Mar

Post by Steptoe »

I know nothing about the OHg..
it only runs fine as long as I have the vacuum advance pipe disconnected,
This suggests its real rich....does it smell rich?
Also check your PCV valve is working..generally a good clean with abit of kero or petrol and blow out is all thats needed.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'