New Member! ...old lpg conversion.

Let's hear all the gory details about your car and how it became alternative fuelled.
velocityboy

New Member! ...old lpg conversion.

Post by velocityboy »

Hi there. So yah, I'm new here. Honestly, I've been interested in a lpg vehicle for quite a while now, I even bought an ol' 65 Chevy pickup last year w/ the intention of doing my own conversion. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the truck was vandalized pretty badly shortly after I got it, and the project suddenly wasn't worth it- sold the truck at a fairly substantial loss. :roll: Anyway, just to let you know, my interest led me to do research on conversions, so I'm not completely ignorant, but I am definitely a novice.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, and I stumble across a borderline creampuff, one owner farm truck that's been running on propane since 1987 (the state certification was in the glovebox). And now it's MY truck :P

'78 Ford F-250 (460 engine. c6 xmission)

She purrs like a kitten, and idles smooth as silk.

As far as the propane equipment, I can't tell you everything yet, as I've been occupied w/ other minor mechanical issues, but I can tell you it's got an Impco 425 mixer, a Century brand vaporizer, and an electric lock-off. All the hoses are in good shape. I did pull the mixer and cleaned it, examined the diaphragm and replaced the thread dressing for the hose attachment. All of that seems to be in fine shape. And I assume the smoothness of the engine would agree with my assessment.

I should also note that the truck's set up to run duel fuel- propane OR gasoline, but it's been on a strict propane diet for years now, so the gasoline fuel system will need some going over (drop/clean the tanks, lines, carb, etc...) if/when I decide to get that going again.

So there ya go. I'll eventually start a thread in the Propane section once I've gone through the older posts, so I don't ask redundant questions.
'78 Ford F-250: 460 cid. dual fuel.

Steptoe

Re: New Member! ...old lpg conversion.

Post by Steptoe »

You ARE serious....Serious enough to go thru the huge amount of good information in these forums.
You are not lazy, but get off your backside and do your own research.
You are lucky, when most of use started out we had no internet, and just a basic install mamual, and so much of our learning was hit and miss trial and error.
Good to have you on board m8

Cheers
Steps
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new truck!

I'd have to agree with your concern about the gasoline system. Even though propane systems (and the fuel within) can just about last forever with minimal use, the gasoline systems really need to be used regularly. Did the gas tank have any fuel in it when you bought it?

Steptoe

Post by Steptoe »

I havnt put petrol in the camaro tank since 1984...had to pull it out to put new spring bushes in .
So pressure tested it and checked the inside...it could not be described as like new but rather new like never used.
The fuel lines I pumped oil up yrs ago
The pump is stored away full of that silcone for rubber seals
The pump is the weak point if still on the car as it continuos to pump mt, seen a few pumpd die because of it
The carb is store full of silone rubber grease.

If you find u never use petrol, pull the pump off bloke the fuel lines...maybe even pull the carb and store.
My Spelling is Not Incorrect...It's 'Creative'

velocityboy

Post by velocityboy »

No, the tanks are dry. You can knock on 'em and tell. Evidently the key to the gas caps was lost years ago.

I really don't see myself wanting to use the gasoline system anytime soon. Why would I when I have nice clean and (relatively) cheap propane available just down the road? Still, since the system is there, I figure I'll eventually go through and take steps to restore it. If for no other reason than the potential mileage range would be awesome (even with that big ol' 460)!

Steptoe, your point about the fuel pump is well taken. I had wondered about the fact that it was still there pumping away at nothing- didn't seem like it would be terribly good. So your insight confirms my suspicions. Perhaps when the time comes, I'll just pull the mech pump and go w/ an electric pump. I'll be pulling the carb in a month or so once school lets out (full time college + full time work= time is pressed right now), clean it up, rebuild if necessary, and store it.
'78 Ford F-250: 460 cid. dual fuel.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

So ... what are you studying?