Potential new propane tank requirements

How the government is helping or hurting us
Greg J

Potential new propane tank requirements

Post by Greg J »

I was browsing TSSA's website. Take a look at this - go to www.tssa.org Click on fuels near the top of the page. On the fuels page, look at the latest news links on the right side of the page. Scroll down to near the bottom and click on "Propane Tanks for Highway Vehicles". From there you can open a page describing the latest requirements.

The description of the new requirements is kind of vague. I am not sure if they are saying only older manifold type tanks cannot be reused, or any type of good used tanks cannot be reused in another vehicle.

Can anyone clarify this? Thank you.

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I believe you are referring to the news item: Propane Tanks for Highway Vehicles which states:
TSSA wrote:The adoption of the CSA B149.5-05 made Annex G of CSA B51S1-05 Standard mandatory. There has been industry confusion regarding how to ensure compliance with the requirements for the manufacturing and installation of propane tanks on highway vehicles

The Advisory clarifies that tanks installed on highway vehicles are required to satisfy Annex G of CSA B51S1-05. The regulatory gap identified is in regard to field enforcement. The marking required by CSA B51S1-05 does not identify compliance with Annex G. Thus, this Advisory requires that manufacturers provide, and propane conversion centres have letters verifying compliance with Annex G when installing propane tanks on highway vehicles.

The above news item refers to the Advisory Propane Tanks For Highway Vehicles

===============

This document indicates to me that used manifolded tanks are not to be reinstalled in new conversions. They may continue to be used in the vehicles in which they are currently installed but cannot be transferred to a new conversion. This advisory does not affect the reuse of single cylinder fuel tanks.

I've asked TSSA about this advisory and they have advised me that this is a still a bit of a grey area and cannot offer an official clarification at this time. Once the CSA B51 committee has finished their review of this code revision, TSSA will be in a better position to provide a definitive answer.