Site Upgrade

Look here for announcements. Please make comments and ask questions about the board here too.
BigBlockMopar

Re: Site Upgrade

Post by BigBlockMopar »

(After a refresh of the page) it does for me.
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.

storm

Post by storm »

BigBlockMopar wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:33 pm
I think you can set the forum's max width very wide, like 1800px orso, as it will scale down in width anyway to the user's screenwidth of the browser because the theme is responsive.
Can't you use a % value?
Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm
I was hoping the change in width from 1152 to 1280 would be more noticeable. I just changed it to 1920 px wide so it should take up your screen's full width.
If the only way to set it is by pixel then at any 1 time someone, probably me cause I tend to buy big screens nowadays, is going to have a lot of wasted space unless you set it at some ridiculous setting like 4k. I'm currently on my laptop and it does seem much better but my desktop may be very different and I wont get to that until tomorrow. When I write css I deliberately use % so that no matter how big the screen size the overall look is the same. Having said that I haven't played with the css in phpBB so I don't know if it'll work that way but in theory it should.
Fuel flow requirements calculations
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

I believe the prosilver style does use both percentage and maximum pixel width. That allows the forum to scale correctly from mobile phone screens up to wide desktop screens.

I find that it is difficult to read a continuous line on a very wide display because my eyes have to scan side to side in addition to reading top to bottom. My desktop screen resolution is 1280x1024 and I still prefer the original 1152 maximum forum width for readability, even on my laptop with 1366x768 resolution.

CNET: The myth of width: When wide screens don't work

storm

Post by storm »

To me that article confuses work with general web surfing. When I work I often have 2 things open side by side (e.g. Firefox on the left and Office on the right) on the screen. Wide screens have, to me, a distinct advantage because I don't have to go and reopen hidden items just to continue working. I've been working like this for well over a decade now. When I am not working the 1 thing I am looking at is full screen.
Engine air flow requirement calculation: CFM = Cubic Inches x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency (VE) ÷ 3456

Frank
Site Admin

Post by Frank »

If you have 2 windows open side by side of your 1920 px wide screen, wouldn't each window be 960 px wide?

storm

Post by storm »

Yep but you are falling into the work vs not work trap and that is why I said that article confuses it.

To make things even more confused, and the article doesn't touch on this either, most (if not all) large screens now enable "split view" where you can tell the screen how many individuals windows you want. I have 1 window but size each application so I can run 2 on screen at any 1 time.

Edit: This is what things look like on my desktop now you have adjusted the setting.
LPG forum-3.png
And this is the basic idea of split screen
2 apps.png
I find both as easy to read but if I am working the split screen concept makes for a much better work flow.

BigBlockMopar

Post by BigBlockMopar »

btw,
with the "more graphical enchancements", I ment 'sprucing up' the site a bit with some pictures related to LPG or something and add an image to each subforum, a bit like I've done on some of my (Dutch) forums.

https://www.mopar.nl/forum/
http://www.pre66.com/site/index.php
https://www.bigblockmopar.com
'73 Dodge Dart - 360ci - 11.3:1cr
MegaSquirt + HEI 7-pin timing control - Edelbrock AirGap - Cold Air Intake
IMPCO E / 425 mixer - A518 OD-trans - 3.55 gears - 225/50/17" tires.